NTL and cable modems

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Jul 18 08:09:23 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 07:39:18PM +0000, Gareth Westwood enlightened us
thusly
> Declan. Moriarty wrote:
> >NTL are giving a 50% discount on cable modems for a year. They are
> >not ideal isps. They cut off a 56k modem after 10 minutes idle or 2
> >hours online. My phones (also on the digital cable) have been off for
> >a week recently, before they came out. They swapped their box, and
> >farted around for an hour before they found out the service had been
> >switched off at _the_other_end :-((. The bills were paid - they had
> >been working on the guy next door and evidently messed up.
> >
> >They are offering 600kb for ?20 per month, or 150kb for ?15 per
> >month. I already pay ?12.50 per month for 56kb access (a flat rate).
> >They claim to be using dhcp with dynamic ip assignment, so I'd get a
> >different ip every time I log in. They claim if you're not off long,
> >you are more likely to get your old ip back, but if you are off some
> >time, it will be different. They do not believe any user would ever
> >use linux - the question I answer most often to NTL is "What is
> >Linux?" They _do_not_ want a domain name registered to my downline
> >box, and cite traffic reasons. Personally, I believe it's business
> >reasons.
> >

> >I'd need a kernel rebuild, another nic, a cable modem, and a
> >firewall, I gather. Anything else? Is there a concise no nonsense
> >guide to this anywhere? I don't know if I'm able for the Cable Modem
> >Howto; I'm certainly not if it's anything like the ppp howto.
> Before I begin (are you sitting comfortably?...) <DISCLAMER> I _Hate_
> NTL, they very nearly took me to court for £600 that I (IMHO) didn't
> owe them and am now setteling £250 to save the hassel of going to
> court. There Digital TV system was permanently up the chuffer and when
> ever I tried to change anything on the phone they cut off the pub line
> (I managed a pub and there was a seperate line).  </DISCLAMER>
>
> I had NTL's cable modem system up and runing with linux fine, it was
> runing over an external cable modem connected to the pc via cat5. All
> I had to do was set the nic to dhcp and enter the name servers. It all
> worked fine.
>
> I don't remember the make / Model of the cable modem so I can't
> gaurnete (can't spell either) it will work but this should give you
> some hope.
>
> On the whole the line I had (512) was superb, I don't recall it going
> down on me ever, whowever it was over 18 months ago and they probably
> have many more ppl using it now.
>
> Think yourself lucky, when I said I was using Linux they seemed to
> asume I had no idea what I was on about and told me to run winipcfg
> anyway. If you get through to some of the tech support guys / girls
> they seem to know a little more.
>
> I am done rambeling now, hope this is of some use.

Knowing linux is nearly a disadvantage in applying for a job in NTL :-/.

I have come across help people in the UK who actually have an idea of
what linux is, and even one subcontractor who offered to install a
cablemodem under linux (for IE£365, about ¤465 or US¤500)

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org