blfs book -suggested /etc/profile

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jul 18 07:55:41 PDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Jochen Schroeder wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:

> >  Any joy on the '$ or #' part of this ?  I've got my PS1 prompts set to
> > include "\$" on my boxes, but last night I discovered that on my iBook
> > root's prompt (when logging in directly) shows '#', but as a normal user
> > the prompt stays at '$' even after su'ing to root.
> >
> >  Is my bash broken ?
> No, this is because you set $PS1 in /etc/profile, but /etc/profile is
> only read when opening a new login shell, su does not open a login
> shell, but just a normal interactive one, if you want bash to set your
> new prompt, either use su - which starts a login shell, or set $PS1 in
> ~/.bashrc (you could also source /etc/profile in .bashrc)

Sorry,

 I wasn't clear enough.  On a quick look, I thought somebody had the
exact same problem I'm seeing.

  As a user, .bash_profile sources .bashrc, which conditionally
sources a non-existent /etc/bashrc.  After this, .bash_profile has

PS1="\u@\h \w \$"
export PS1

with not an /etc/profile in sight.

When I echo $PS1 I get
\u@\h \w $

so somehow it has lost the '\' from '\$'.

Ken
--
You'll always find me out to lunch
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org