font problem

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jul 18 07:39:39 PDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 linux at nplinux.org wrote:

> hi all:
>
> i have sucessfully compiled Xfree86 and test is successful.
>
> but when i do startx.
>

> it says like:
>

> could'nt open the default font 'fixed'.
>
> ANd when i comment all the lines in section "files" of /etc/X11/XFree86-4.
> then startx will start X with no problem..
>
> what do i do?

 Still catching up with my email, apologies if I've overlooked somebody
else's reply to this.

 I had a similar problem the week before last.  I'd managed to fsck up
some of the font paths in the host.def file, and specifically
.../fonts/misc/ was not in the generated XF86Config file.  Edit
XF86Config-4 to add this in and you should be laughing, or at least
ready for the next misconfiguration (keyboard, mouse protocol, ...).

Ken
 --
You'll always find me out to lunch
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org