font problem

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Jul 18 01:31:22 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 04:13:49PM +0545, linux at nplinux.org enlightened
us thusly
> hi all:
>
> i have sucessfully compiled Xfree86 and test is successful.
>
> but when i do startx.
>

> it says like:
>

> could'nt open the default font 'fixed'.
>
> ANd when i comment all the lines in section "files" of
> /etc/X11/XFree86-4.  then startx will start X with no problem..
>
> what do i do?
>
> Thanks paras.

We would need to know what X you have compiled.
Either your fontpaths are incorrect, or...

At a guess, you have 2 processes trying to find, process or scale fonts

CVheck with ps -e what processes you have running. There are things like
freetype, xfs, xft. Different versions ox X come with bundled versions
of these things.

Not all of them are great or even useful.

Did you follow the X hint or the lfs book or anything for compilation
instructions?

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.