Problem getting 16 Colors to work in Pine [NOTABUG]

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Jul 17 13:45:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 21:44, Jason Gurtz wrote:

> > Nope.  Your Xterm is definitely broken.
>
> This is not in an 'Xterm'  This, in the simplest configuration, is a
> local vga console running the matrox framebuffer at 8bbp.  I (blindly
> even) assumed that the framebuffer would allow up to even true color,
> properly configured, in the console, but maybe each app needs it's own
> code to handle that, ala Links2?

I could have sworn your screenshots were of xterms, but that could have
been fatigue messing with my head.  In any case, if this is actually at
the framebuffer text console you can just quit now, afaik because it's
never going to display those last 8 colors.  Sorry about that...

man terminfo is somewhat enlightening on this subject.  With it you can
find the capname (fancy term for "thingie") of "colors" which tells you
the maximum number of colors this terminal will display...  Which for
the linux console is 8 and isn't a joke.  :/  (It displays without the
last 8 on my fb console as well--the console just isn't ANSI)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org