Multiple keyboards - X & console

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Thu Jul 17 12:18:18 PDT 2003

Hi there!

On my notebook, I have a built-in keyboard (great!), but I'd like
to be using a secondary USB one within the console and X.

Both X and the console saw the two keyboards without me doing anything.
It happened like magic! So far, so good.

The problem is:
 - the built-in keyboard is AZERTY (I'm french and bought the notebook
   in France, thus the layout).
 - the added USB keyboard is QWERTY, which I prefer under certain
   circustances (programming, that is).
 - both keyboards use the same layout so far. I was not able to use
   one for each device... :-(

So the question is:
How do I configure both console and X to use different layouts for
each of the keyboards? Is this a kernel issue, or what?

And, no, I'd rather not (automatically) switch between mappings
whenever I {,un}plug the USB keyboard, using hotplug tools.

Note:

So far, I managed to use two mice with X and gpm. One is the built-in
touchpad (which is awfull to use with Quake! ;-) ) and the second one
is a USB mouse. It works wether the USB mouse is plugged in or not :-)
It even works OK when {,un}plugging the USB mouse! :-)

I found it quite easy to achieve, although I had to tweak a few files.

Regards,
Yann.

--
|  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN --- |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org