OT: crossplatform C++

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Thu Jul 17 06:55:56 PDT 2003

semzx at newmail.ru ("Alexander E. Patrakov") writes:

> On Thursday 17 July 2003 15:31, Ripalda-Marin, Miguel-Angel wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I've googled the WWW looking for any introduction to 'writing crossplatform
> > apps in C++', but couldn't find any doc that satisfied my requirements...
> > since many of you are skilled C++ programmers, could you point me any URL
> > where I could start to learn about it... I've coded a lot in C and Java,
> > and know tha basics of C++ (that means, for me, inheritance, templates and
> > so on)...
> >
> You are already familiar with STL, aren't you? So cross-platform standard
> containers and other data structures are already a part of your knowledge. If
> not, search Google for ISO IEC 14882 1998 pdf (yes, I know, downloading this
> file is illegal).

Correction: It /may/ be illegal, but it doesn't have to be. It depends
on where you live.

> Also you should be familiar with design patterns (search
> for GoF, I have the paper book, not a pdf file, but just in case: ISBN
> 0-201-63661-2). Ideas are always cross-platform.
>
> Unfortunately, STL doesn't include threads, TCP/IP, GUI and so on. You are
> even unable (using only standard means) to access files on win32, if there
> are chinese or other strange characters in their names.

For cross-platform, semi-standardized functionality lacking in the
standard library, use Boost (http://www.boost.org). Many things in
boost are expected to eventually be included in the standard, and can
in a way be considered a "sandbox" for the standard library. Bost is
both portable and high-quality and includes libraries for threading,
filesystem functions, etc. I don't know about TCP/IP though.

Björn
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org