OT: crossplatform C++

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 05:37:49 PDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:36:25 +0000 (UTC)
delgarde at ihug.co.nz (Simon Geard) wrote:

> Ripalda-Marin, Miguel-Angel wrote:
>
> >Thank you all again,
>
> >I know about patterns, GoF and so on... but nothing about STL, so I
> >will read that paper (don't tell anyone ;-)
>
> >I don't want to make the one an only one library ;-) Just came across
> >a just-linux-oriented program, that the marketing team :-( wants to
> >be ported to... XP! Since... the next month they will want it ported
> >to Solaris, HP-UX or whatever... I just want to isolate the
> >pthread-depending code snippets and so on...
>
> >Miguel Ángel
> >

> Solaris / HP / etc shouldn't be too much of a problem - for the most
> part, they're compatible (POSIX standards). XP, on the other hand -
> you're going to have issues with pretty much anything that isn't part
> of the language itself. Like Alexander said, stuff like UI, threading,
> and network access are going to be a pain (unless you do it all under
> Cygwin or some other Unix layer for Windows).

UI isn't a problem if you use something akin to wxWindows, gtk, fltk,
etc. For threading and network access I've heard good things about the
boost library (http://www.boost.org/)...I believe that also supports
file operations in an OS independent fashion. Again this adds (yet)
another compile-time and run-time dependency to your application but
such seems to be the price for platform-independence.

Regards,

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org