OT: crossplatform C++

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Thu Jul 17 03:08:48 PDT 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 15:31, Ripalda-Marin, Miguel-Angel wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've googled the WWW looking for any introduction to 'writing crossplatform
> apps in C++', but couldn't find any doc that satisfied my requirements...
> since many of you are skilled C++ programmers, could you point me any URL
> where I could start to learn about it... I've coded a lot in C and Java,
> and know tha basics of C++ (that means, for me, inheritance, templates and
> so on)...

You are already familiar with STL, aren't you? So cross-platform standard
containers and other data structures are already a part of your knowledge. If
not, search Google for ISO IEC 14882 1998 pdf (yes, I know, downloading this
file is illegal). Also you should be familiar with design patterns (search
for GoF, I have the paper book, not a pdf file, but just in case: ISBN
0-201-63661-2). Ideas are always cross-platform.

Unfortunately, STL doesn't include threads, TCP/IP, GUI and so on. You are
even unable (using only standard means) to access files on win32, if there
are chinese or other strange characters in their names.

Yes, there are some cross-platform wrappers around common toolkits on UNIX and
around native win32 controls. Among them: wxWindows, FLTK, V, maybe Qt, you
will certainly find others if you search for a page that mentions them all.
Unfortunately, none of them uses std::string as a class for strings! Also
none of them looks perfectly under all platforms. So I would say "Forget
about cross-platform". Or waste your time in attempts to write your own
library.

Finally, I think that the "common denominator" approach is fundamentally
flawed. (Yes I know that the previous sentence belongs to Microsoft and is OT
here. But it is true anyway.)

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org