NTL and cable modems

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 23:22:55 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:33:28 +0000 (UTC)
declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie ("Declan. Moriarty") wrote:

> NTL are giving a 50% discount on cable modems for a year.

Declan,

I'm ntl's UK happy customer, I think maybe their only one, but happy I am. 150K satisfies me since being over 50 I don't want mindless computer games - I like FlighGear, brain-dead music - none written since Bach died, or films - pity about Spencer Tracey.

Getting the cable modem working with Linux via a nic was easy, just a matter of running dhclient in almost default mode.  I have seen people say they have got it working via USB and Linux, but that doesn't sound fun - see link.

I do have an old 486 running lfs and iptables as a firewall, that was the biggest challenge as it doesn't have much memory or disk.
There are some excellent sites to help you, the best being:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geofbar3g6/ntlusblinux.html

Check these out before you jump.

Richard.