Problem getting 16 Colors to work in Pine [NOTABUG]

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Wed Jul 16 19:44:41 PDT 2003

On 7/16/2003 7:44 PM, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 15:20, Jason Gurtz wrote:
>> On 7/15/2003 1:09 AM, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 23:47, Jason Gurtz wrote:

> Nope.  You can invoke tput to get the number of columns and rows in the
> current display (oh so handy), as well as get the control codes (if such
> exists) for setting colors, boldface, underline and etc without worrying
> about what kind of terminal is on the other end.  So long as the
> terminal supports ANSI the script you posted will work fine.  If you'd
> attempted to view it's output on a VT52 or VT102 terminal, you'd be
> looking at a lot of spurious garbage.

Pretty cool, I'll have to familiarize myself w/ those things.  For now,
all I'm interested in is ansi type consoles; no serial terminals or
anything like that here, just plain jane, fairly modern, x86 garbage. :)

>> > 2. You should probably adjust the contrast on your monitor.
>>
>> Well, that's fairly denigrating.  Do I really appear to be a moron?
>
> You may wish to peruse the archives to determine for yourself the depth
> of my apathy for when people decide they should be upset because they've
> been told the truth.  You could hide the Grand Canyon in it with room to
> spare.

Yup, my statement was at least half tongue in cheek.  I'm well aware of
your attitude and the style of your posts for a few years now, many a
newbie trailing away in tears, etc....  Sorry for forgetting the smiley,
dude.  I do appreciate your high level of expertise and your advice even
if I don't particularly care for your nose being high in the air at
times.  That's a price I'll pay for good help; I've delt and deal with
much worse *cough*telco*cough*.  No offense intended.

>> http://sedum.tommyk.com/~flake/images/colorTest_xterm-16color.png
>>
> [...]  Judging from your screenshots you're not even
> seeing the high-intensity colors.  *hemhem*  See
> http://www.speakeasy.net/~dagmar/Screenshot.png for what you _should_ be
> seeing.

OK, now that's what I'm looking for.  Now to see how to attain it...

> Nope.  Your Xterm is definitely broken.

This is not in an 'Xterm'  This, in the simplest configuration, is a
local vga console running the matrox framebuffer at 8bbp.  I (blindly
even) assumed that the framebuffer would allow up to even true color,
properly configured, in the console, but maybe each app needs it's own
code to handle that, ala Links2?

Regards,

~Jason

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org