Problem getting 16 Colors to work in Pine [NOTABUG]

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jul 16 16:44:41 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 15:20, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> On 7/15/2003 1:09 AM, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 23:47, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> >
> >> I thought maybe pine had a bug until I tried out the bash script that
> >> also only displayed 8 colors.  I s'pose the documentation as to the
> >> numbers might be wrong.  is 90-97 and 100-107 the correct ranges for the
> >> extended 8 background and foreground colors?  Could anyone verify that
> >> the bash script I posted will display 16 colors?
> >
> > 1. You should not be setting color codes manually as you did in the
> > script.  Ncurses provides tput and tset for those kinds of things.
> > Check their man pages on the portable way to call for colors.
>
> Hmm, though those were more for initializing and setting idividual
> terminal capabilities.  I'll read on in the man pages, but hopefully
> people will see that the script is not ment as a professional example,
> just quick and dirty show what the terminal can do.

Nope.  You can invoke tput to get the number of columns and rows in the
current display (oh so handy), as well as get the control codes (if such
exists) for setting colors, boldface, underline and etc without worrying
about what kind of terminal is on the other end.  So long as the
terminal supports ANSI the script you posted will work fine.  If you'd
attempted to view it's output on a VT52 or VT102 terminal, you'd be
looking at a lot of spurious garbage.

> > 2. You should probably adjust the contrast on your monitor.
>
> Well, that's fairly denigrating.  Do I really appear to be a moron?

You may wish to peruse the archives to determine for yourself the depth
of my apathy for when people decide they should be upset because they've
been told the truth.  You could hide the Grand Canyon in it with room to
spare.

> >  Now that I've run that script my guess is that maybe you don't realize
> > that the second 8 colors are basically just the same colors again with a
> > higher ("high-intensity") brightness.  Everything is getting displayed as
> > it should be in a plain xterm.  (The value of the TERM variable means
> > nothing to the script, see #1)
>
> IIRC the "high-intensity" colors don't actualy count as additional
> colors as they are the same colors with higher intesity.  Indeed, the
> high-intensity colors are viewable even in an 8 color pine and in 8
> color only capable terminals.  But what do I know....

You know how to fuss and moan apparently.  If you'll stop we can move on
to something productive.  Judging from your screenshots you're not even
seeing the high-intensity colors.  *hemhem*  See
http://www.speakeasy.net/~dagmar/Screenshot.png for what you _should_ be
seeing.

> I've posted a couple screen shots, the first is output of the script,
> the second a view of color choices in pine with "force-ansi-16color" set
> (before someone else insults me further, no I've not washed out the
> extra 8 colors with the png compression).  With a 256 color terminal and
> using the "use-term-def" setting, all 256 colors show up as black; I
> don't think I need to post a shot of that.
>
> http://sedum.tommyk.com/~flake/images/colorTest_xterm-16color.png
>
> http://sedum.tommyk.com/~flake/images/pine16-colors.png
>
> Perhaps someone can tell me if that's what they see too.  It might
> indeed be a pine bug.

Nope.  Your Xterm is definitely broken.  If you haven't done *anything*
to /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm since you installed XFree86 4.3.0 and you
don't have anything in ~/.xresources or similar that could be changing
them, the likely culprit is either your X configuration (15bpp is
remarkable for finding bugs in rendering algs and card drivers) or you
have a broken version of X installed...  it's really pretty cut and
dried.  You don't need to worry about pine until you see something
similar to what I show in the screenshot coming out of your Xterm.
Since you've been messing around with the 256-color version of Xterm,
it's more likely that you have broken something by doing that than
anything else.

Make _especially_ sure you've not somehow circumcised the app-resources
file because it's the last 18 lines of the file where the VT100 colors
that are used get set...

*VT100*color0: black
*VT100*color1: red3
*VT100*color2: green3