NTL and cable modems

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Jul 16 09:35:43 PDT 2003

NTL are giving a 50% discount on cable modems for a year. They are not
ideal isps. They cut off a 56k modem after 10 minutes idle or 2 hours
online. My phones (also on the digital cable) have been off for a week
recently, before they came out. They swapped their box, and farted
around for an hour before they found out the service had been switched
off at _the_other_end :-((. The bills were paid - they had been working
on the guy next door and evidently messed up.

They are offering 600kb for ¤20 per month, or 150kb for ¤15 per month. I
already pay ¤12.50 per month for 56kb access (a flat rate). They claim
to be using dhcp with dynamic ip assignment, so I'd get a different ip
every time I log in. They claim if you're not off long, you are more
likely to get your old ip back, but if you are off some time, it will be
different. They do not believe any user would ever use linux - the
question I answer most often to NTL is "What is Linux?" They _do_not_
want a domain name registered to my downline box, and cite traffic
reasons. Personally, I believe it's business reasons.

I'd need a kernel rebuild, another nic, a cable modem, and a firewall, I
gather. Anything else? Is there a concise no nonsense guide to this
anywhere? I don't know if I'm able for the Cable Modem Howto; I'm
certainly not if it's anything like the ppp howto.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org