4.1; spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

Gregory Davis gregdavis at ieee.org
Wed Jul 16 05:49:23 PDT 2003

Albert Wagner wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:56:18 -0500
> Albert Wagner <alwagner at tcac.net> wrote:
>
>> I have installed LFS-4.1 and XFree86-4.3.0.  While configuring and
>> testing XFree86 I get a message...
>>
>> "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7"
>>
>> ...while typing in commands to the console.  What should I be looking
>> at to fix this?  I don't know what a 8259A device is.  Any help
>> appreciated.
>
> Thanks to all who replied.  I googled, as suggested, and found many
> different opinions.  However, I suspect it is fixable by using different
> kernel configs;  I am using the same hardware as I used for LFS-4.0 and
> previous versions of LFS, and never encountered this before.  One of the
> googled messages
> said that if I had IO-APIC support and AMD/VIA combo chipset, then that
> would explain it.  I do in fact have AMD/VIA and had LOCAL_APIC set.  I
> recompiled the kernel with it unset.  I'll report back if it seems
> fixed.

It fixed mine by unsetting it.  Also, I was receiving lots of "i8253 count
too high" error messages (1 ever 10 seconds).  Those also went away by
unsetting the option (or at least only happen once per uptime).  An 8253 is
a timer chip used, apparently, to time something that interrupts the 8259A
on IRQ7.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org