blfs book -suggested /etc/profile

Sam Barnett-Cormack s.barnett-cormack at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 06:23:34 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Jan Van Belle wrote:

> Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Linux wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have used the suggested /etc/profile in the ver4.1 blfs book however it does not appear to like something and the $PATH is not set accordingly.
> > > When logging in it shows [: missing ']' after the other login stuff, which would indicate to me that bash thinks there is a missing ] in the code somewhere.
> >
> > I don't have that problem, but for me it doesn't correctly show
> > superuser shells (with a # instead of a $ at the end) - anyone know how
> > to fix this?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Sam Barnett-Cormack
> > Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths
> > UK Mirror Service (http://www.mirror.ac.uk)  |  Lancaster University
> > --
>
> change the PS1 variable you've declared somewhere in your
> bash environment files. Otherwise, declare it a second time
> in $HOME/.bashrc

Yeah, I figured out that much - but what do I put in PS1 that makes it
different for different users, in this manner? Or do I just use a
conditional on $USER to set it slightly differently for root?

And yes, I will RTFM as soon as I get around to it, but I thought one of
you might just know and allow me to get it working sooner. Then I will
RTFM when I have the chance (there are more important things than
prompts to sort out on this box), and set the prompt *exactly* as I
want.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org