4.1; spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Tue Jul 15 01:26:13 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:56:18AM -0500, Albert Wagner enlightened us thusly
> I have installed LFS-4.1 and XFree86-4.3.0.  While configuring and
> testing XFree86 I get a message...
>
> "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7"
>
> ...while typing in commands to the console.  What should I be looking at
> to fix this?  I don't know what a 8259A device is.  Any help
> appreciated.

IIRC, the 8259a was the interrupt controller back in the days when pc's
were fast at 8 Mhz, and the AT was really only for cpu intensive work.
The XT had one, and the AT had 2 by feeding one into irq2, hence giving
you 16 interrupts.

They may be a few gates on some huge fpga chip today, or the report may
refer to whatever X thinks is the interrupt controller. Anything that
makes it shut up should be ok. Have you anything hanging on the parallel
port? That's usually irq 7 but you can find out with

cat /proc/interrupts

and see what has irq 7. Make it shut up or go to sleep and then look.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org