Problem getting 16 Colors to work in Pine [NOTABUG]

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Jul 14 22:09:42 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 23:47, Jason Gurtz wrote:

> I thought maybe pine had a bug until I tried out the bash script that
> also only displayed 8 colors.  I s'pose the documentation as to the
> numbers might be wrong.  is 90-97 and 100-107 the correct ranges for the
> extended 8 background and foreground colors?  Could anyone verify that
> the bash script I posted will display 16 colors?

1. You should not be setting color codes manually as you did in the
script.  Ncurses provides tput and tset for those kinds of things.
Check their man pages on the portable way to call for colors.

2. You should probably adjust the contrast on your monitor.  Now that
I've run that script my guess is that maybe you don't realize that the
second 8 colors are basically just the same colors again with a higher
("high-intensity") brightness.  Everything is getting displayed as it
should be in a plain xterm.  (The value of the TERM variable means
nothing to the script, see #1)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org