4.1; spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Mon Jul 14 08:08:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:56:18 -0500
Albert Wagner <alwagner at tcac.net> wrote:

> I have installed LFS-4.1 and XFree86-4.3.0.  While configuring and
> testing XFree86 I get a message...
>
> "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7"
>
> ...while typing in commands to the console.  What should I be looking
> at to fix this?  I don't know what a 8259A device is.  Any help
> appreciated.

Thanks to all who replied.  I googled, as suggested, and found many
different opinions.  However, I suspect it is fixable by using different
kernel configs;  I am using the same hardware as I used for LFS-4.0 and
previous versions of LFS, and never encountered this before.  One of the
googled messages
said that if I had IO-APIC support and AMD/VIA combo chipset, then that
would explain it.  I do in fact have AMD/VIA and had LOCAL_APIC set.  I
recompiled the kernel with it unset.  I'll report back if it seems
fixed.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org