What do I recompile?

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Sat Jul 12 01:32:58 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:07:42PM +0200, Erika Pacholleck enlightened us thusly
> > were right about the iso8859 and ISO-8859 thing.
> > Now I can rename old locales, compile new ones, and install them
>
> So it is your systems localedef you used together with your systems
> raw material: means your systems glibc seems ok, nothing to recompile.
>
> I assume you are not very fond of a complete locale collection
> So copy the glibc-2.2.5/localedata/SUPPORTED to /home/genius
> syntax of it is this:
>  lang_TERITORY/character set \
>  -i this^      -f this^        and / as seperator between the values
>
> With this list you can see how glibc would build the locales and you
> can use it for your own localedef commands. Maybe as idea you can see
> what you have now in /usr/lib/locale.

We're being very careful here. I can see how glibc did try to
build them. They appear in /usr/lib/locale with three files each.

> Use your /home/genius/localetest directory to fill it up with the rest.
> Tar up your /usr/lib/locale directory (I never go without backup, even
> if the backup contains mess).
> Then empty the whole /usr/lib/locale dir (rm -fr /usr/lib/locale/*) and
> as root copy the contents of your localetest dir to /usr/lib/locale
> (cp -r --preserve=mode /home/genius/localetest/* /usr/lib/locale/).
>
> Now repeat the locale test commands we had in the beginning:
> LC_XX locale identification ... and such (no miss, all taken, remember?)
> and the perl one. They should now work.

Yep, even I could manage that (He says hopefully).

Currently I'm running on en_IE at euro freshly compiled as root while you
weren't looking two e-mails ago. It seems OK apart from the currency
error. It'll probably even be better when it can find the charset :-P.
That's me fixed.

Of course I could forsee a need for Romanian, Russian, Chinese, Tagalog,
French & Portugese among my immediate acquaintances. We also have many
German speakers. Maybe I'd better think twice about this one.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org