Printing de-mystified (was Re: To CUPS or not to CUPS)

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Fri Jul 11 09:04:55 PDT 2003

Steve,

Thank you for your 20+ years of experience to help de-mystify a very confusing
subject!

Your explanations go a long way to clear up quite a few mis-conceptions and to
help explain what the different possible parts of a working printing system
are. This is very much what I had hoped to get started. I know that I've been
reading quite a lot of the HOW-TO's, hints and other doc's and your
explainations have cleared up many confusing things for me.

It seems to me that your preferred system is to use postscript printers where
ever possible. Unfortunately, many of us have printers that aren't. But you
have provided some info towards understanding what is needed for those cases
as well.

In my particular situation, I have two desktop computers each with a printer.
Even though they are networked, I do not use network printing since I barely
understand printing as it is.

On my desk, I've got a Samsung ML4500 laser which uses the gdi driver from
espgs for printing. In my Daughter's room, she has a Xerox M750 which is
supposed to work with the pcl3 driver. I know that it does work because I did
have it working at one stage, but the last time I tried to configure it with
CUPS, I could not get CUPS to find the driver. Of course I need to read the
hints and other doc's some more since that was how I got it working the first
time. And I'll need that info when I wipe and re-install my desktop using
LFS/BLFS.

I think that what you have started, along with other input and proper editing
would be a great intro chapter for the printing section of the BLFS. This is
just the sort of information people will need to help them decide which
particular solution is right for them and will help them avoid installing
wrong or unnecessary packages. This is a great help for the rest of us.
Hopefully, others with printing experience will add to this information.
Those of us who are less experienced can help by identifying which parts are
extremely helpful and which need more clarification.

In conclusion, Steve has offered us some great insight into the printing
mystery. Declan and Uli have offered a simplified solution that is also of
great help. I know others have also put up useful info, I just don't remember
all the names at the moment. A good explaination of foomatic might be of use
as well. I get the impression that Steve finds this to be poorly implimented,
but it might be of use to someone. Or an explaination of how to do the same
thing without it's added burden might be a better solution.

Thanks to everyone who has contibuted useful info on this confusing topic.

Cheers,

	John Gay
--
"What is scattered to the wind here is just a drop in the bucket."

 -- member of New York City Council

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org