Convert from ext3 to ext2

kilroy no-spam at sonic.net
Thu Jul 10 18:46:15 PDT 2003

Santiago Almenara wrote:
> That is my problem.... Partition Magic doesn't like ext3 hence I still need
> ext2.
>
> Is there any way or I have to format the partition????
>
> ""Alexander E. Patrakov"" <semzx at newmail.ru> escribio en el mensaje
> news:200307090752.36660.semzx at newmail.ru...
>
>>On Wednesday 09 July 2003 04:16, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>>
>>>Considering that there's nothing really you must _do_ to use an ext3
>>>filesystem as an ext2 filesystem, I feel compelled to ask... why on
>>>earth do you want to do this?  Whatever reason you have, there's likely
>>>to be a better solution, since there's practically no downside at all to
>>>using ext3.
>>
>>For example,
>>Some Windows-based ext2 readers don't like ext3
>>PartitionMagic refuses to resize ext3
>>
>>--
>>Alexander E. Patrakov
>>
>>--

   Here's what I do:

Using Drive Image 4.0 to backup/restore ext3 partitions

To backup an ext3 partition:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.remove the journal by executing the command

      tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdxyz

from a Linux system other than the one you are backing up.

2. create the backup image with Drive Image 4.0

To restore:
~~~~~~~~~~

1. restore the backup image with Drive Image 4.0

2. replace the journal by executing the command

tune2fs -j /dev/hdxyz

from a Linux system other than the one you are restoring.

                *** WARNING ***

  If the partition you are restoring is a root partition, always check
its /etc/fstab and make sure that all partitions it references by means
of LABEL= still have the same e2labels that they had at the time the
partition was backed up.

  Basically, that's all there is to it:

   remove journal -> create backup image
  restore backup image -> replace journal

p.s. If you want to use Partition Magic 7.0 to /delete/
an ext3 patition, you also have to remove the journal first.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org