further information

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Thu Jul 10 01:00:13 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:14:55PM +0800, Wenrich enlightened us thusly
> > Just a question. Does it pull a page? My canon (bjc4000)misses the top
> > few lines.  A better test would be
> >
> > rmmod (all parallel port modules)
> >
> > cat textfile > /dev/lp0 after whetever special characters you decide,
> > e.g.
> >
> > cat /etc/fstab > /dev/lp0
> >
> > At that stage you should see parallel port info, and get ink on paper.
>
> Thanks! I tried it, but no luck :-(
> Actually, the printer does not respond at all. After issuing the cat
> textfile > /dev/lp0 command,
> the parallel port modules get loaded, but that's all. The printer does
> nothing,
> and the paper stays still.

You, sir have something dud in the chain. Presuming the cat command
works on the same parallel port you are plugged into (?), something is
missing/broken/offline.

Just being lazy, I would
	1. cat /etc/fstab > /dev/lp1, in case my pc was playing tricks
	2. Print a test page from the printer - most of them have
buttons for it.

Your printer IS on a parallel port, isn't it? It's not on usb by any
chance????

Don't blame the software.There are 5 error lines in a parallel port for
printer errors - offline, jammed, out of paper, etc. Try provoking these
faults and see if you get any feedback from the printer.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org