Convert from ext3 to ext2

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 23:14:20 PDT 2003

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:06:00 -0500, Santiago Almenara wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to convert a partition from ext3 to ext2 ????
>
> To do the opposite (ext2 -> ext3) I did this: tune2fs -j /dev/hdaX

According to Stephen Tweedie (who should know) :

"It's not _quite_ as simple as converting to ext3, but not much harder.
You just need to clear the "has_journal" bit, then e2fsck will clean up
the rest of the superblock fields.  Ie.

	tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/foo
	e2fsck /dev/foo
should do the trick."

See the thread "Converting ext3 to ext2" at :

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2002-September/thread.html

Though I contributed to that thread, I have never actually converted back
from ext3 to ext2 so I can't vouch that it works.

Geoff
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org