color console tools

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Tue Jul 8 15:15:52 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 06:53, Santiago Almenara Masías wrote:

> >> can you provide me with more information ?
> >
> > i was asking for it myself... hence 'is this in console or a term
> > emulator?'
>
> I think I had the same problem when I upgrade to KDE 3.1.2
>
> Under console, I tried this:
>
> Log as root
> cd /usr/share/terminfo/x
> mv xterm xterm.orig
> ln -s xterm-xfree86 xterm
>

> There is a solution involving changing $TERM variable but I don't remember
> how and you would always have to it.

Yes, and the solution is to change TERM from "xterm" to "xterm-xfree86"
or "xterm-color" (what I use).  Altering the terminfo database in this
way is likely the _wrong_ solution no matter what the problem is, since
not everything that has xterms is XFree86 and should you do this to a
system and a user connects through say, an older Sun or HP/UX
workstation and is using an xterm, attempts by an application to use
color may make their terminal somewhat unreadable.

Now, how about you answer the nice man's question already before people
have to ignore this drunken thread...  Are you having trouble getting
midnight commander to display colors from under a text-based linux
console when XFree86 isn't running, or from inside an xterm (emulated
terminal) or similar beast when XFree86 is running?

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org