libgcc_s.so.1 question

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 11:56:30 PDT 2003

Hello,

I am running lfs 3.3 - much updated but still gcc 2.95.3.  I hope to find
will time to compile 4.1 a few weeks from now.

In the meantime, I have come across the following problem.  I track
Mozilla development by installing a new nightly about once a month. It
seems that last night's version requires j2sdk-1.4.2 and I guess that both
the java and moz are compiled under gcc 3.x.  The java plugin apparently
needs libgcc_s.so.1, which is not available under gcc 2.95.3.  As it
happens I found that library elsewhere on my system because it comes with
OpenOffice.  Experimentally putting it into /usr/lib *seems* to cure the
problem and moz/java works.

This seems to be at best an ugly expedient and I was a little surprised
that it worked at all.

My question (largely driven by simple curiosity), is whether I have just
been lucky so far (with nasty surprises ahead), or whether it is ok to
rely on this library?

TIA

Geoff
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org