To CUPS or not to CUPS

Norbert Möndjen Norbert.Moendjen at t-online.de
Tue Jul 8 10:02:39 PDT 2003

Declan. Moriarty wrote:
> In case it escaped your notice, Alexander, I am probably the harshest
> critic of cups on the list. I don't have it installed. But any
> exercise that helps subsequent lfsers wishing to print to understand
> why their newly compiled won't do the business is well worth the
> effort. I would even install it in /opt (Otherwise empty :-D) for the
> purpose. I somehow imagine that this would be better done by users
> than critics.
>
> Doesn't the fact that we are contemplating this reverse engineering of
> cups to assist in sorting the many problems on the list speak volumes
> about the documentation, and the program?

I followed the discussion for a while now. I?m on a LFS 4.0 and had no
problem with cups since LFS 3.x. I run it on my Server only for
spooling and I run it with ghostscript and gimpprint on my
workstations. It never gives me a problem. I have no
postscript-printers, only a laserjet II compatible IBM 4029 and a
relativly new Epson Stylus Photo 870 which prints, thanks to
gimp-print, nearly better then under windows. Also the windows-
maschines print well through cups with ipp-protokoll and the raw-spool.
And all I?ve done was compiling it as it was mentioned in the docu.

Ciao Nobbe
--
 .~.     |http://www.derochsen.de
 /V\     |http://www.derochsen.de/eiscafe