big concerns

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Mon Jul 7 18:36:52 PDT 2003

Simon Geard wrote:
> Of course, the kernel does compile fine with gcc3.2, as do all the
> extra modules I've encountered.

the kernel _compiles_ fine... but is it actually rock solid? i am going
with kernel-team reccomendations with regards any kernel recompile, and
i use gcc-2.95.3 (which is not just any 'ol gcc-2.9x) as they ask us to!

i had some filesystem and pci issues with gcc-3.x which troubled me, as
they do not appear with a gcc-2.95.3 compiled kernel. i would reccomend
that all LFSers to the same... some things are just not meant to be
compiled with mad optimisations or exotic new compilers we like to use
:-/

and to esaul; i see you compiled your XFree86 with gcc-3.3 (i hope you
did not use exotic optimisations!! i did on 3.2.3 and it stung me...),
but you do NOT need to compile the kernel modules (DRM) with the same
compiler as you compiled XFree86 with. in fact, i always run the
attached script (in a clean xc tree) after a kernel rebuild which will
always build the DRM with the kernel-compiler (in my case, this is set
to gcc-2.95.3 like i said.) this also ensures that the kernel modules
for the graphics card is always in sync with the XFree86 version. you
may wish to run the commands line-by-line, instead of blindly running
the script; the compile time for the modules alone is quite short (it
takes longer to extract the XFree86 source code from the tarball on my
machine).

i have also attached the patch i use on the kernel tree source to ensure
that all my kernels are built with gcc-2.95.3 (i installed in
/opt/gcc-2.95.3). i personally reccomend everyone to apply this patch to
their kernel after compiling (an LFS patched) gcc-2.95.3 into
/opt/gcc-2.95.3. in fact i have even attached a script to install
gcc-2.95.3 after you download the required patch and tarball... it only
uses 3.1MB of disk space and it much quicker to compile than gcc-3.x.

ok... to round up; if you haven't already done so:

  - build gcc-2.95.3 with [attached] `old-gcc.sh`
  - rebuild your kernel (with the [attached] patch applied),
    so as to build with a known _STABLE_ c compiler
  - rebuild your XFree86 kernel modules with something along the lines
    of [attached] `drm-only.sh`

i am sure there are typos in those scripts... you are all grown up and
see what im trying to say though, right ;-)

(i keep saying gcc-2.95.3 to make sure everyone gets the point... its
important; VERY important)

hope this helps!
Sam
--