echo "*" >/dev/lp0 does not work for my printer!

Wenrich zwb_wf at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 20:08:55 PDT 2003

I tried to check if my printer was working by
echo -eu "hello\f\r" > /dev/lp0, but nothing happened.
(The cable connection is no problem)

The following is the relevant part of the config file
when I built the kernel:

CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_PCMCIA=m

CONFIG_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE=y

The following are messges when system boots:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP(,...)]
parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
lp0: console ready

Do I have to build parallel port support right into kernel?
Is that where the problem lies?

Best Regards,
Wenrich
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org