big concerns

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jul 4 06:21:07 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> esaul said the following on 4-7-2003 4:27:
>
>> OK, I recompiled the kernel with the new gcc, and DRI works now.
>> So, despite the lfs and blfs advices (not to mention that glibc don't
>> compile with gcc 3.3, nor should the kernel:
>> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/15/0614239&mode=thread&
>>
>> tid=117&tid=126&tid=99&tid=156 ), there is no way to use alsa and X
>> kernel modules, except when they are compiled
>> with the same version of gcc?
>>
>> The r128.o module compiled from the X install doesn't work anymore,
>> although 'twas the same kernel and gcc version. So, although DRI works
>> here now, it loads the kernel module, not the module provided by X
>> (which is supposed to fit right in, - same kernel, same
>> compiler, and depmod doesn't bitch).
>

> XFRee86 provides a kernel module for the DRI component.
> Your kernel was compiled with gcc-2.9x
> XFree86 was compiled with gcc-3.x (see first message)
> DRI didn't work.
> Now, you recompiled your kernel (again, with 2.9x) and now DRI does
> work. Here's why: the kernel also includes (a much older) kernel
> module for DRI. And everytime you do make modules_install, it will rm
> -rf /lib/modules/kernelversion and repopulate that tree. So the DRI
> kernel module you end up getting is from 2.9x and works perfectly
> (allthough a bit outdated).
> You can recompile the XFree86 kernel module (somewhere deep inside the
> xc tree, you probably find it with google or in the archives) to have
> a newer module.
> Now next time remember: _all_ kernel modules have to be compiled with
> the same version. This includes Alsa, XFree86-DRI modules, NVidia
> drivers and binary winmodem drivers.

Of course, the kernel does compile fine with gcc3.2, as do all the extra
modules I've encountered. So unless you actually have to deal with
something that won't (and nVidia drivers work fine for me), you may find
it simpler to do as I do and not bother with gcc2.95.3 at all... More
work if you later find you *do* need to use 2.95.3 for something, but
less if you don't.

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org