ogg / cdda2wav

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Sat Jul 5 10:37:32 PDT 2003

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:20:08 +0200
bkhl at privat.utfors.se (Björn Lindström) wrote:

> Matthew Burgess <ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > How experienced are folks on this list in all things ogg related?
> > I'm trying to rip directly from CD to .ogg format without an
> > intermediate.wav file.  I've tried the following command, which some
> > trawls on google show should work in theory:
>
> > cdda2wav --dev=0,0,0 -paranoia --quiet | oggenc -r - -o foo.ogg
>
> You probably need to give cdda2wav some argument to make it write to
> stdout. Also you will need a loop of some kind to split up the output
> in tracks.

Thanks, I took yet another look at the cdda2wav manpage and found that I
was missing the "-" argument that would allow it to output to stdout.  I
realise the need for a loop - I was merely trying to get one file to
work first before dealing with an entire album...now it's onwards and
upwards :)

> Apart from that, you should check out cdparanoia, which is cdda2wav
> with error checking. (So that you know if the copy is good.)

I thought that's what the -paranoia flag to cdda2wav did?

Thanks again,

Matt

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org