Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Fri Jul 4 03:39:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:55:06 -0300
luis jure <ljure at multitel.com.uy> wrote:
<snip>
> a blind shot: permissions on directories? i once had a silly problem
> with that. check with " cd / ; ls -la " that all permissions are ok.
> if that's no the problem, perhaps you should strace the su command.
> then some one in the list (not me) might be able to give you more
> concrete advice...

Bingo!  Thank you, Luis.  I had changed some of the subdirs of /, but
not apparently the critical one(s).  I'm not sure which of those below
was the key dir, but I can undo them back to the point of failure and
find out.  For now I am simply delighted.  Thanks again for the hint.

$ chmod 0755 /boot
$ ~
$ chmod 0755 /dev/pts
$ ~