initrd + busybox error

Pedro Salazar pedro-b-salazar at ptinovacao.pt
Fri Jul 4 06:57:26 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I already manage to boot and *run* the initrd image of my LFS.
However, I'm getting problems running the initrd. I'm using the hints
described made by Jim Gifford (my thanks to Jim) with busybox.

I'm getting the busybox message screen when loading the initrd:

"
BusyBox v0.60.5 (2003.06.23-16:22+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
   or: [function] [arguments]...

        BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
        utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
        link to busybox for each function they wish to use, and BusyBox
        will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
        [, ash, busybox, chroot, echo, insmod, mkdir, modprobe, mount,
        pivot_root, sh, test, umount
"

and after that I got a kernel panic message:

"Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init"

My linuxrc:

"
#!/bin/sh

echo "Initial RAMDISK Loading Starting..."
insmod /lib/scsi_mod.o
insmod /lib/sd_mod.o
insmod /lib/usbcore.o
insmod /lib/usb-storage.o
insmod /lib/usb-ohci.o
insmod /lib/ehci-hcd.o
echo "Initial RAMDISK Loading Completed..."
mkdir /new_root
echo "Mounting proc..."
mount -n -t proc none /proc
echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
echo "Mounting real root dev..."
mount -n -o ro /dev/sda1 /new_root
umount /proc
cd /new_root
echo "Running pivot_root..."
pivot_root . initrd
if [ -c initrd/dev/.devfsd ]
        then
                echo "Mounting devfs..."
                mount -n -t devfs none dev
fi
if [ $$ = 1 ]
        then
                echo "Running init..."
                exec chroot . sbin/init dev/console 2>&1
        else
                echo "Using bug circumvention for busybox..."
                exec chroot . sbin/linuxrc dev/console 2>&1
fi
"

However, I already tried remove the linuxrc from my initrd, and I still
got the same message!!! Shouldn't the error be anything else like
"linuxrc not found in initrd image"???

I appreciate any help with this subject,

thanks,
Pedro Salazar.
--
PS