big concerns

esaul esaul at reggaetrain.com
Thu Jul 3 19:27:25 PDT 2003

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:01:47 +0000, richar wrote:

> You won't know for sure without recomping the kernel or X, but I have
> a working system with:
>
> Rage 128 PF/PRO
> AMD Irongate chipset
> kernel 2.4.20 - compiled by gcc 3.2.1
> x 4.3.0 - compiled by gcc 3.2.1
>

> Richard

OK, I recompiled the kernel with the new gcc, and DRI works now.
So, despite the lfs and blfs advices (not to mention that glibc don't
compile with gcc 3.3, nor should the kernel:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/15/0614239&mode=thread&
tid=117&tid=126&tid=99&tid=156 ),
there is no way to use alsa and X kernel modules, except when they are compiled
with the same version of gcc?

The r128.o module compiled from the X install doesn't work anymore,
although 'twas the same kernel and gcc version. So, although DRI works
here now, it loads the kernel module, not the module
provided by X (which is supposed to fit right in, - same kernel, same
compiler, and depmod doesn't bitch).

Somebody, please, enlighten me on this.

I am gonna keep on posting and trying to solve these problems 'till I
figure this out.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org