Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Thu Jul 3 12:14:14 PDT 2003

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:56:46 +0200
Jeroen Coumans <jeroencoumans at gmx.net> wrote:

> Albert Wagner said the following on 3-7-2003 20:40:
> > What besides the permissions associated with the bash executable can
> > cause the message:
> >
> > Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied
> >
> > I don't know how to be more permissable than this:
> >
> > $ la /bin/bash
> > -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root       662926 Jan 18 06:03 /bin/bash
> > $ ~
> > $ la /bin/su
> > -rwsrwxrwx    1 root     root        14136 Jan 18 06:03 /bin/su
> >

> Bad boy, forgot to check the FAQ:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#bad-interpreter-permission-denied
> Try the suggestions in there

Nope. I am not building bash in chapter 5. My fstab is below. I get the
error when I su - lfs in my host(LFS4.0).

# Begin /etc/fstab

# filesystem   mount-point fs-type  options          dump  fsck-order

/dev/hda3      /           ext2     defaults            1  1
/dev/hda2      swap        swap     pri=1               0  0
proc           /proc       proc     defaults            0  0
devpts         /dev/pts    devpts   gid=4,mode=620      0  0
/dev/fd0       /mnt/floppy auto     noauto,user         0  0
/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom  auto     ro,noauto,user,exec 0  0
/dev/hdb4      /mnt/zip    auto     noauto,user         0  0

# End /etc/fstab
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org