ALSA segfault, buggy timer, and kernel > 2.4.20

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jul 3 13:01:27 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 15:53, Gregory Davis wrote:

> FWIW, I used gcc 2.95.3 to compile the kernel, and 3.2 to compile everything
> else (ALSA and xmms etc etc).  I'm fed up and am going to try downgrading
> to kernel 2.4.20.  Does it matter if kernel modules and the kernel itself
> are compiled using different versions of GCC?

Yes, it matters very much - anything that produces kernel modules should
ALWAYS be compiled with the same compiler as you compiled the kernel
with.  In this case, doing similar to what you do with the kernel (make
CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/gcc) is enough for alsa, and most other packages
I've seen.  Most likely, this is the source of your problems.

-J-