PDF viewers

Csaba Henk tphhec01 at degas.ceu.hu
Thu Jul 3 00:23:40 PDT 2003

In article <20030702124337.0d51e3ea.alwagner at tcac.net>, Albert Wagner wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:08:45 +0000 (UTC)
> Csaba Henk <tphhec01 at degas.ceu.hu> wrote:
>
>> In article <20030702115552.38aa2d9f.alwagner at tcac.net>, Albert Wagner
>> wrote:
>> > Given that Adobe's viewer is free, what are the pros and cons of the
>> > other readers.
>>
>> What others? With a postscript viewer you can view many pdf's but not
>> all. So they are not really pdf viewers.
>>
>> I know of only one other pdf viewer which is a dedicated pdf viewer:
>> xpdf(well, there is also gpdf, but that's just a Gnome compatibility
>> hack on xpdf). It's main advantage is that it's not only free as beer
>> but also free as in freedom. Over the usual pros of such a status, in
>> this case it yields a very specific extra feature... Hm, have you ever
>> tried to print an encrypted pdf? ;)
>
> Ah hah!  That's what I was looking for.  I had found xpdf/gpdf on
> freshmeat.  I guess I should have dug deeper.  Printable, huh?  Thank
> you.

You still have to dug deeper... You won't print encrypted pdf's with xpdf as
such. The pdf specification (you can download it from Adobe's site) also
defines pdf encryption and that how pdf viewers should react to certain
permissions of an encrypted doc. So xpdf wouldn't be a proper pdf viewer if
it didn't respect permissions of an encrypted pdf... As the xpdf developers
react to this situation:

http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/cracking.html

BTW, I prefer xpdf to acrobat reader also because the latter one is bloated
and slow, the former one is not.

--
Csaba

In for a penny, in for a pound