X 4.3 & Nvidia driver

dienadel no at use.this.com
Wed Jul 2 23:50:39 PDT 2003

Arnaud Boissinot escribió:
> Hello all,
>
> My problem is the following:
>
> I've got a GeForce2 GTS/PRO card and I've always used the nvidia (now closed
> source) driver without problems.
> But this time the driver doesn't work, I've got a strange screen (I can see
> strange lines, my KDE desktop looks like an encrypted TV program, I hope
> you see what I mean !)
>
> What I've done is the following:
>
> 1/ sh NVdriver.run
> 2/ recompile the driver for my kernel (2.4.21)
> 3/ install the driver
> 4/ look at /etc/modules.conf to see the "alias char-major195 nvidia"
> 4/ modify XF86config-4 to load the nvidia driver which lokks like:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "device1"
>     VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
>     BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
>     Driver      "nvidia"
>     VideoRam    65536
>     Option      "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> You've got all the details and I hope somebody can help me !
>
> Arnaud

Hello,

Yesterday, i had the same problem, but with a GForce 2MX.

Now, i don't know why, it works. Here are the things i made (i made them
for install a motorola winmodem, and now, works the modem and the grafic
card)

- I had gcc-3. As shown in LFS-CVS, installed gcc-2
- Recompiled the kernel using gcc-2
- Extract the files in nv*run.
- Go to the directories and find the directoy src
- then recompile the nvidia driver with gcc-2 (make CC=/opt...)
- make sure your new "nvidia.o with gcc-2" is placed in /lib/modules...
- Change the XF86Config-4

Note: you'll must recompile all the modules with gcc-2, as alsa (i think)

i hope it'll work for you. good luck!

dienadel

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org