X 4.3 & Nvidia driver

Arnaud Boissinot arnaud.boissinot at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 2 13:39:25 PDT 2003

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> You left out a lot of detail that would be pertinent to your monitor.
> In any case, make sure your problem isn't the nVidia driver first by
> changing the Driver "nvidia" to say Driver "nv" so it'll use the
> built-in XFree86 driver for it.  Only if it works and the nvidia module
> doesn't should you be blaming the nvidia module.
>
>>From the description you gave it sounds more to me like your monitor
> sync settings are just way off, but if your idea of scrambled cable
> involves something digital, you could be falling prey to the other big
> gotcha waiting to get nVidia users.  Do _not_ use the nVidia driver for
> framebuffer consoles.  Stick with the VESA if you use framebuffer
> consoles.  There are currently some pretty messy conflicts between the
> nVidia XFree86 driver and the nVidia console fb driver in the kernel
> which result in (most notably) the big green rectangle o' mystery.

I'm sure that it's not a problem with the monitor since the XFree "nv"
driver works fine and I've compile the old open source driver "nvidia"
1.0-4191 and it works fine too.

I've got this problem with the latest 4363 (and 4349) drivers of nvidia
(those whith an installer !)

Moreover my monitor configuration is the same under LFS and under Mandrake
9.1 (the 4363 nvidia driver works well with Madrake 9.1)

This is a part of my XF86config-4 file:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor1"
    HorizSync   30-95
    VertRefresh 47-160
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device1"
    VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VideoRam    65536
    #BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option      "DPMS"
    #Option     "nologo"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen1"
    Device      "Device1"
    Monitor     "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "MyLayout"
    Screen      "Screen1"
    InputDevice "Mouse1"        "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1"     "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org