init : libssl.so : cannot open shared object file : kernel panic !

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jul 2 13:20:29 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 13:38, Laurent H. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully installed my lfs 4.1, and I've mainly done
> everything in blfs 1.0 within chroot.
> Now that I want to dive into the comfort of my new system, I get this
> message during boot, after / have been mounted (kjournald started, so
> I think it is when the kernel just pass the hand to init) :
>         init : error while loading shared libraries : libssl.so.0.9.7 :
> cannot open shared object file : No such file or directory
>
> My system is like this :
>         /dev/hdc8       /
>         /dev/hdc9       /usr
>         /dev/hdc10      /home
>
> Following blfs, I've installed libssl.so.0.9.7 under /usr/lib (and
> ldconfig finds it perfectly). The fact is at the time it crashes,
> only / is mounted read-only, and not /usr (so libssl.so doesn't exist
> yet).
>
> My questions are :
>         Why does init need libssl (I don't remember doing anything in this
> way) ?
>         Why does it lead to a kernel panic ?
>         Do I have to reinstall libssl under /lib, so that it can be found
> when only / is mounted ?

Umm... are you completely and totally sure that your init is linked to
libssl and that it's not something else that's wanting it?  This is
likely something that can come back to bite you in the tail elsewhere.
As far as I know unless you're doing some really kinky encrypted
filesystem stuff, init shouldn't be linked to much more than libc.

Do an `ldd /sbin/init`.  It should come back saying it's not a dynamic
executeable in an ideal world.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org