Compiling Gnome2

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jul 2 13:14:36 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 12:24, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Guido Schimmels wrote:
>
> >Gnome uses the same versioning scheme as the linux
> kernel:
> >Odd minor number -> unstable
> >Even minor number -> stable
> >

> Unfortunately, that is not exactly true. Just check
> out
> <http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/desktop/2.2/2.2.1/sources/>.

Doh.  That was nice and vague.  Before any newbies heads explode, I
think he meant to say the individual packages don't follow the numbering
scheme, but the Desktop releases (the name by which the packages are
collectively called when they hold still long enough for a picture) do
follow the numbering scheme.

(There's also this wild theory that someday the individual packages may
also manage to synch up with the numbers of the desktop releases instead
of running the gamut from zero to jillionteen, but I'm not holding my
breath for it.)

(some snippage may apply)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org