X 4.3 & Nvidia driver

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jul 2 13:07:51 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 09:00, Arnaud Boissinot wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My problem is the following:
>
> I've got a GeForce2 GTS/PRO card and I've always used the nvidia (now closed
> source) driver without problems.
> But this time the driver doesn't work, I've got a strange screen (I can see
> strange lines, my KDE desktop looks like an encrypted TV program, I hope
> you see what I mean !)
>
> What I've done is the following:
>
> 1/ sh NVdriver.run
> 2/ recompile the driver for my kernel (2.4.21)
> 3/ install the driver
> 4/ look at /etc/modules.conf to see the "alias char-major195 nvidia"
> 4/ modify XF86config-4 to load the nvidia driver which lokks like:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "device1"
>     VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
>     BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
>     Driver      "nvidia"
>     VideoRam    65536
>     Option      "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> You've got all the details and I hope somebody can help me !

You left out a lot of detail that would be pertinent to your monitor.
In any case, make sure your problem isn't the nVidia driver first by
changing the Driver "nvidia" to say Driver "nv" so it'll use the
built-in XFree86 driver for it.  Only if it works and the nvidia module
doesn't should you be blaming the nvidia module.

>From the description you gave it sounds more to me like your monitor
sync settings are just way off, but if your idea of scrambled cable
involves something digital, you could be falling prey to the other big
gotcha waiting to get nVidia users.  Do _not_ use the nVidia driver for
framebuffer consoles.  Stick with the VESA if you use framebuffer
consoles.  There are currently some pretty messy conflicts between the
nVidia XFree86 driver and the nVidia console fb driver in the kernel
which result in (most notably) the big green rectangle o' mystery.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org