init : libssl.so : cannot open shared object file : kernel panic !

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Wed Jul 2 11:45:08 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Laurent H. wrote:

> I've successfully installed my lfs 4.1, and I've mainly done
> everything in blfs 1.0 within chroot.

This is in general considered a BadThing[TM], as in chroot, you have
the old system's kernel running, which normally would be different
from your LFS kernel. Especially X has been known to not wnat to
compile in chroot, and I'd expect problems with KDE and Gnome, too.

Btw. why did you build _everything_ in BLFS?

> Now that I want to dive into the comfort of my new system, I get this
> message during boot, after / have been mounted (kjournald started, so
> I think it is when the kernel just pass the hand to init) :
>         init : error while loading shared libraries : libssl.so.0.9.7 :
> cannot open shared object file : No such file or directory
>
> My system is like this :
>         /dev/hdc8       /
>         /dev/hdc9       /usr
>         /dev/hdc10      /home
>
> Following blfs, I've installed libssl.so.0.9.7 under /usr/lib (and
> ldconfig finds it perfectly). The fact is at the time it crashes,
> only / is mounted read-only, and not /usr (so libssl.so doesn't exist
> yet).

Did you try the obvious?

	ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 /lib

uli