init : libssl.so : cannot open shared object file : kernel panic !

Laurent H. l.huge at nospam.wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 2 11:38:13 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've successfully installed my lfs 4.1, and I've mainly done
everything in blfs 1.0 within chroot.
Now that I want to dive into the comfort of my new system, I get this
message during boot, after / have been mounted (kjournald started, so
I think it is when the kernel just pass the hand to init) :
        init : error while loading shared libraries : libssl.so.0.9.7 :
cannot open shared object file : No such file or directory

My system is like this :
        /dev/hdc8       /
        /dev/hdc9       /usr
        /dev/hdc10      /home

Following blfs, I've installed libssl.so.0.9.7 under /usr/lib (and
ldconfig finds it perfectly). The fact is at the time it crashes,
only / is mounted read-only, and not /usr (so libssl.so doesn't exist
yet).

My questions are :
        Why does init need libssl (I don't remember doing anything in this
way) ?
        Why does it lead to a kernel panic ?
        Do I have to reinstall libssl under /lib, so that it can be found
when only / is mounted ?

Thanks,
--
Laurent H. (pour m'écrire, enlever nospam. de l'adresse de réponse)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org