To CUPS or not to CUPS

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Wed Jul 2 02:34:42 PDT 2003

Steve Bougerolle said the following on 2-7-2003 6:19:

> On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 10:05, Craig Colton wrote:
>
>>>I think the problem you have is the fact that the best hint to
>>>assure a working printing configuration on Linux is one that is
>>>anti-Cups.

Uh, please watch your quotes. Craig didn't say this; it was me. The >>>
quotes are mine (and I'll respond briefly)

> I disagree entirely.  CUPS is not THAT hard to make work, and once you
> have it working it will save you from lots of other pitfalls.

Cups is easy for some, hard for others. In general, we hear from the
people who have trouble with it. And a large part of them doesn't
understand printing under Unix/Linux at all. Hence the statements above
and below.

>>>Untill then, the general consensus is that the Printing Minority Report
>>>(despite it's anti-CUPS'ness, in some casess /because/ ;)) is the best
>>>solution to getting started with a working printer configuration.
>

> What general consensus?  I've mostly kept quiet on the matter because I
> consider it to be silly, but that doesn't mean I agree with the
> anti-CUPS people - and I don't.  I expect lots of other lurkers also
> disagree and just couldn't be bothered to say so, like me.
>
> To state my position bluntly: CUPS is a HUGE improvement over past
> printing systems despite its admitted bugs, and it would be much better
> if people got on board and did the little bit of work to make CUPS
> function instead of going their own way and making a zillion more
> homebrew printing projects. I'm not really against the minority report,
> despite that view - I just see it as an experimental learning sort of
> thing, not a serious printing answer.

Problem is, it's often not trivial to setup and for the requirements of
people seeking help on these lists, Declan's hint is sufficient too.
Yes, CUPS is probably an improvement compared to other systems. However
it has its share of problems and is generally speaking overkill for most
  people who seek help on these lists (else they would either have the
expertise to set it up themselves or seek help at a cups forum, right?)

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org