Promise FastTrak 100 onboard ATA RAID controller

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Wed Jul 2 00:34:30 PDT 2003

This thingy at least pretends to work now in 2.4.21 (it didn't in 2.4.20, the
kernel hang after printing the models of drives connected to it). The
question is how to use it properly.

Variant 1: Don't use it at all. Use "md" software RAID on main IDE interfaces
(they are ATA133, but there is also a not-so-often-used CD-RW attached to one
of them), as we do now.
Variant 2: Move the disks to the Promise controller (ATA100, but no CD-RW),
use the same "md" software RAID.
Variant 3: Move the disks to the Promise controller and use the pdcraid driver
(it has version 0.03 beta, I am not sure that it is stable enough).

Another couple of questions: How do I know if one of the mirrored hard drives
fail, for each variant? Can I replace a disk with a disk of higher volume in
the case of failure?

Any other comments on this piece of hardware are welcome.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org