To CUPS or not to CUPS

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Tue Jul 1 21:05:48 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 04:25, Simon Geard wrote:

> Which brings up an interesting point. How many people here are using LFS
> in a business environment (i.e where network-ready printers are the
> norm), vs using it at home (i.e more likely a USB or parallel printer).

I've set up a few different businesses with Linux print servers.  Even
for the heaviest printers among them, I would never buy a "network
ready" printer.  They just add a crap (closed) network interface which
could be better replaced by an old Pentium or even a 486 running as a
dedicated server (or just as often, by another server doing double duty
and hosting the printer too).

--
Steve Bougerolle <steveb at creek-and-cowley.com>
Creek & Cowley Consulting