BJC Printer setup after installing cups-1.1.18

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 1 18:10:59 PDT 2003

> I thank you for the compliment - my ego's a little bruised being out of
> work for the longest time in my life. But ...
>
> First, my opinion is inconsequential. To me, what is important is the
> friendly and (mis)informative sharing of knowledge and ideas. It is
> these interactions, IMO, that spark new/best ideas/solutions and
> increase the general level of knowledge to the community.
>
> Second, just in case something is mis-remembered, I have not taken a pos-
> ition about CUPS. I made a decision to use lprng/lprngtools because it
> allowed me to use the latest/greatest standard ghostscript and avoid ins-
> tallation of the other esgs* stuff. The fact that is well documented,
> flexible and maintained also was a consideration (other packages, includ-
> ing CUPS also meet this criteria). Since I am "decoratively impaired" and
> have no concerns for the issues like "photo quality", one spooler/printer
> that handles all the net/conv/spool/dispatch issues, is as good as a-
> nother that does the same, to me.
>
> A *minor* consideration (because I have dealt effectively with complexity
> for more years than I care to admit) was the problems reported on the
> list. Remember that it was not just Declan that had experienced some
> issues. IIRC, I was seeing the occasional cry for help beginning over a
> year ago. The first of these was sparked (I haven't re-checked the
> archives, so this may not be gospel) by needing a different gs pkg/ver
> than what the BLFS book provided at that time. There have been other
> issues also.
>
> > Have you done the same with cups? In other words, work through this
> > difficult install process:
>
> No I haven't. But because I selected a different package for, mostly,
> different reasons, and because I present no opinion about CUPS, I haven't
> had the impetous to investigate it (yet - see below).
>
> >   Install CUPS:
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > Install Gimp-Print:
> > If you have the Gimp:
> >
> > ./configure --with-cups
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > If you don't have the Gimp:
> >
> > ./configure --with-cups --without-gimp
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > Install ESPGS:
> > ./configure --with-gimp-print  --with-drivers=  --without-omni
> > make
> > make install
>
> Right here is the most important reason I went with another package. With
> my interests being in other areas, ATM, I could avoid a couple of
> additional packages.
>
> > Now start the Cups deamon with:
> >
> > /usr/sbin/cupsd
> >
> > Then direct a browser to:
> >
> > http://localhost:631
> >
> > You should now be able to configure and test your printer.
>
> Looks straight-forward enough.

> [...]

Inspiring post. I can hardly find anything in there to argue about. Could you
please try to be more inflammatory in the future? : )

I would like to take small issue. You may or may not know me from my posts. As
frequency, I would class them as less than average to rare. But that doesn't
mean that I haven't been here. I just feel that I learn more when I listen
than when I speak. Anyway, these people here - the ones that have been around
for awhile - (as silly as it sounds) feel like friends of mine to me. They
all have their own personalities and their posts are all filtered through
what I percieve their personalities to be.

I _hope_ that I have not posted something maliciously without regard to
anothers feelings. I have been critical (overly critical?), but this is
criticism that I have had for along time, but have not spoken for precisely
this reason (i.e., I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings). Let's please
make a distinction between criticism and malicious criticism.

Mailing lists are funny. You might feel that you are having a one-on-one
conversation with somebody but all of a sudden a bunch of responses get
posted, and you think "Damn..........I didnt't know they were listening".
You're absoutely right - I got sucked in - and I should've been smarter.

Regards,
Craig
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org