The Dark Ages of Printing

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Tue Jul 1 17:34:01 PDT 2003

Ulrich Fahrenberg said the following on 1-7-2003 22:14:
> STEP 2:
>
> Check if your printer is working and connected:
>
> 	echo -en "blah\f\r" > /dev/lp0
>
> (substitute lp0 with the port your printer is connected to)
>
> If your printer spits out a piece of paper with the word `blah' on it,
> good. If it doesn't, worry.

You might want to add this bit of info:

Epson printers don't work without first being given a special character.
The gimp-print util escputil is commonly used for that (it's probably
possible to do this without first installing gimp-print, but I don't
know how). This is the command which works for me (Stylus C80):
escputil -r /dev/usb/lp0 -i

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans