J2SDK install problems

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 11:12:26 PDT 2003

Wenrich wrote:

>[root at idle java]# T=`grep -a tail
j2sdk-${V}-linux-i?86.bin | cut -f 2 -d " "`
>[root at idle java]# echo $T
>+$skip +7 (cd

This is supposed to contain some number, echo $T
should give you "+nnn"
where nnn is some number. The commands in the book
were tested for all
1.4 versions available from Sun's website.

>[root at idle java]# tail $T j2sdk-${V}-linux-i?86.bin >
install.sfx.$$
>tail: $: invalid suffix character in obsolescent
option
>[root at idle java]#
>
>I don't understand why we don't directly use the file
name but bother
>to create some variables V and T?

I used the commands I use in my script. I prefer
automatic installs
without user intervention. The above commands solve
the problem.

You are free to use the installation instructions as
per the
installation file of the package.

--
Tushar Teredesai