J2SDK install problems

Wenrich zwb_wf at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 18:18:34 PDT 2003

Since i could not download j2sdk 1.4.1-02 binary file, i downloaded
1.4.1-01 instead. i followed instructions on BLFS-BOOK-1.0. The
following is what appeared on my shell:

[root at idle java]# ls
INSTALL-j2sdk
install.sfx
install.sfx.247
j2sdk-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin
j2sdk-1_4_1-src-scsl.zip
j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin
j2sdk-sec-1_4_1-src-scsl.zip

[root at idle java]# echo $V
1_4_1_01
[root at idle java]# echo $T
+$skip +7 (cd

[root at idle java]# T=`grep -a tail j2sdk-${V}-linux-i?86.bin | cut -f 2 -d " "`
[root at idle java]# echo $T
+$skip +7 (cd
[root at idle java]# tail $T j2sdk-${V}-linux-i?86.bin > install.sfx.$$
tail: $: invalid suffix character in obsolescent option
[root at idle java]#

I don't understand why we don't directly use the file name but bother
to create some variables V and T? Why did I get that error in the last
command?

Thanks a lot!

ps: I kind of started a flame war on CUPS a few days ago, i hope this time
I won't :-)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org